PELUM Uganda has further established 4 more Ecological Land Use Management (ELUM) centres of excellence in Kibaale, Kabale, Tororo and Buikwe districts to strengthen and facilitate continuous and decentralized learning on ELUM practices. The centres also known as Climate Resilience Agro Ecosystems Model (CRAEM) centers of excellence are hosted by lead farmers affiliated to four PELUM Uganda members. i.e. Emesco Development Foundation, Youth Association for Rural Development (YARD), Caritas Tororo and Caritas Kabale.
A regionalized force
Unsustainable farming practices practiced in many parts of the country have led to massive environmental degradation which has led to reduced yields and increased poverty. Sustainable solutions are needed to overturn the negative trend.
The CRAEM/ELUM centres of excellence create synergies that facilitate context specific learning and development of systematic and comprehensive approaches that can be used to promote ELUM. PELUM Uganda acknowledges ecological land use management practices as key to enabling farmers and communities to adapt and become more resilient to climate change.
Role of the ELUM/CRAEM centres of excellence
- The centres of excellence will demonstrate and offer practical training in ELUM, agro-ecology and applied research in the form of partnerships and collaborations with other research institutions and the private sector for greater impact.
- They will build capacity of host farmers to provide quality training to other community members on ELUM.
- They will improve and strengthen learning and replication of locally appropriate and effective ELUM practices that can be adopted by farming households to sustainably increase their yields, build their resilience to climate change and conserve the environment.
The 4 centres of excellence, which were competitively selected from 10 PELUM Uganda members, will be role models for other farmer groups and will deliver outreach and create impact in society by delivering excellent learning on ELUM.
The new centres of excellence include the following;
- A CREAM/ELUM Centre managed by Birembo Organic Farmer (affiliated to Emesco Development Foundation). The center is located in Birembo village, Birembo, Sub-county, Kibaale district and is hosted by Mr. Karebu Alfred, a smallholder farmer.
- A CREAM/ELUM Centre managed by Kagoye Caritas Farmer group (affiliated to Caritas Kabale). The center is located in Kagoye village, Nyamwezi Sub-county, Kabale district. The center is hosted by Mr. Godfrey Twigukye.
- A CREAM/ELUM Centre managed by Sirlwanyi Kirum group (affiliated to Caritas Tororo a partner of Horizont3000). The center is located in KRubongi village, Panyansi Sub-county, Tororo district. The center is hosted by Ms. Ann Katand.
- A CREAM/ELUM Centre managed by Kufuna Kwefako Framer group (affiliated to Youth Association for Rural Development -YARD). The center is located in Mawoloba village, Ngogwe Sub-county, Buikwe district. The center is hosted by Mr. Elia Mugenyi.